Friends of Monmouth School
A Letter to all Parents:
On behalf of the Friends of Monmouth School I would like to wish you a very warm welcome to Monmouth School and also thank all existing parents for the support you have given to our fund-raising events.
The Friends of Monmouth School, also known as FOMS, exists to raise funds for items that would not normally be covered by the school fees, and also to provide a social hub for parents. As a parent you are automatically a member and we encourage you to get involved to as large or small extent as suits you. At senior school it can be difficult to get to know other parents and the FOMS offers a great opportunity to meet and make new friends and get involved in the life of the school. You are welcome to attend our friendly and relaxed meetings which are held twice a term, without any commitment. If meetings are not for you, we are always most appreciative of any help or support you can give to our fund-raising events.
In the last couple of years we have introduced the Lion’s Den as a way of deciding which projects to fund. A panel from the FOMS committee have the cash and the boys come into our den to pitch their funding requests. This is a great way for the boys to sharpen their presentation skills and for us to meet the boys. It makes the process of distributing funding much more personal than simply supplying us with a written request.
During the past twelve months we have held a series of events including our annual Christmas Fair, Christmas wreath making workshops and a hugely successful Fashion Show. This year we have been able to donate approximately £4,500 funding things as diverse as kayaks, an air hockey table, a telescope and much more.
Please get in touch if you would like to get involved in whatever capacity. My contact details are below.
With best wishes
Chair (mum of Tom VI.1)
Dates of forthcoming Friends of Monmouth School Events:
|Event||Venue||Date and Time|
|Irish Frog Racing Night||Hitchcock Pavilion
||Friday 17th March 7.30pm
Friends of Monmouth School; Registered Charity No. 1086096
Who we are?
All Monmouth School parents are members of FOMS and everyone is welcome, whether as a regular committee member or on an occasional basis attending or helping at events. We keep things pretty informal – meetings are usually held over a glass of wine – and fully understand that your time is precious. Our current line-up is as follows:
President: Dr Andrew Daniel
Chairman: Helen Fawcett
Vice Chair: Vicki Walker
Treasurer: Fi Powell
Secretary: Rachel Morgan
School Reps: John Geraghty , Kate Kirman (The Grange)
General Members: Kate Poynton, Fiona Harling, Justine Keeling-Paglia, Amanda Baker, Michael Poynton, Richard Sparkes, Frank Myers .
In addition, and equally importantly, we have a lovely group of parents and friends who help at events without being on the committee; we have special love for these people!
Anyone wishing to come along to meetings, join the committee or just offer their services helping out occasionally should contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t have the time or the inclination to help, we’d still love to see you at our events. Keep an eye on the website or our Facebook page to find out what’s going on.
FOMS: Guidelines for considering funding requests
FOMS will consider all requests for funding in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. In order to succeed, the request must have a broadly educational purpose, in line with FOMS’ objects. “Education” should be given the widest possible interpretation; it need not be limited to academic purposes and may include musical, sporting, cultural and artistic elements. By way of example, items funded by FOMS in the past have included team football shirts, astronomy equipment, cookers for an overseas expedition, a table tennis table for one of the houses, a marquee used by the rowing club at regattas and the lectern and chairs in the Blake Theatre.
2. The request should benefit as many members of the school as possible. FOMS will not normally provide assistance for individual boys except in exceptional circumstances.
3. Although FOMS does occasionally fund items for one-off use, a request will be considered more favourably if it is likely to have a long-term benefit or can at least be used more than once.
4. Although there is no reason why FOMS funding should not benefit a particular group, house or club more than once, FOMS shall endeavour to direct its funding towards the widest possible range of beneficiaries and may refuse a request from any group, house or club that has received a large amount of funding in recent months or years.
5. FOMS will only consider requests put forward in the proper manner. Requests for items under £1,000 should be accompanied by two estimates, whilst requests for items over £1,000 should be accompanied by three estimates. All requests must come through a member of staff and not directly from pupils. If a request is not in the proper format or if the committee considers that it contains insufficient information, FOMS may ask for more information or suggest that the request be made again.
6. FOMS committee members will declare any interest in a request for funding, for example if their son is a member of the group, house or club requesting the funding. This will not disqualify that committee member from voting on the request.
Results from the Latest Lion’s Den
The Foms Lions donated £650 to support the HAB Club ( High altitude balloon) which meets once a week during the lunch break and has 40 members from across the year groups. Matt Crane and George Bettley presented a very convincing and informative pitch and the Lions were extremely impressed with their enthusiasm and knowledge of their subject.
Our second pitch came from Wilfred Wright and Robert Bowman on behalf of the Art and Design Department who requested funding for 7 large lockable display boards to display the art work from each year group. They would be sited throughout the school and will boost the profile of Art and Design at Monmouth School. The Pitch was very well presented and the Lions decided to award the pitch £1,500.
Well done to all the boys involved.
The Friends of Monmouth School Christmas Fair 2016
Quiz and Curry Night a Huge Success!
The Friends of Monmouth School Quiz and Curry Night at the Pavilion was a great success. Philip Vaughn Smith provided his usual testing questions and proved a formidable Question Master. The usual FOMS team of Vicki, Fi, Fiona, Kate, Amanda and John set up, manned the well supported bar, sold raffle tickets and kept the evening on track. A big thanks to the Catering Department for a delicious Curry and to all the parents and staff who supported the evening. The winners were reassuringly the Senior Master’s Team. The evening was also successful in large part thanks to Simon George of Budweiser Budvar who provided a selection of his finest beers to lubricate the proceedings.